Dogs, yes! Cats, yes! You’re a pet lover through and through!
You may not be famed poet and aristocrat, Lord Byron, with his 10 horses, eight enormous dogs, three monkeys, five cats, an eagle, a crow and a falcon, but you are owned by both cats and dogs!
Knowing how much you love cats and dogs, here are 10 fun facts about each of them.
- In ancient Egypt cats were worshipped. (They have not forgotten this!)
- In Japan, the maneki neko cat is a symbol of good fortune.
- Cream Puff is the oldest cat ever at 38 years and 3 days old. She was born August 3, 1967 and died August 6, 2005.
- Female cats are called queens.
- Male cats are called tomcats.
- Cats have about 470 or so taste buds, versus more than 9,000 on the human tongue!
- Cats can see at only one-sixth the light level required for human vision, which is why we say they have night vision.
- The most popular cat breed in the world is currently the Ragdoll.
- As of 2021, there were an estimated 220 million owned and 480 million stray cats in the world.
- A group of cats is a clowder.
- There are around 450 dog breeds recognized globally.
- A research study in 2016 suggested that dogs can see Earth’s magnetic field.
- An Australian cattle-dog named Bluey is the oldest dog to ever live. He lived 29 years 5 months.
- A female parent of a litter is a Dam.
- A male parent of a litter is a Sire.
- The dog was the first species to be domesticated, by hunter–gatherers over 15,000 years ago.
- Over 470 millions dogs are kept as pets worldwide.
- Dogs can only distinguish between blue and yellow hues in their vision, but are not color blind.
- The Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog breed, currently.
- A Border Collie named Chaser learned over 1,000 words!
We hope you enjoy receiving All Pet Voices newsletter and reach out anytime you have a question!
The All Pet Voices Team:
Chloe, Jessica, Britt, Emily, and Christy
P.S. If you are considering pet insurance for your pets, you definitely want to read How Does Pet Insurance Work?